Thursday, April 10, 2014

Why Yes, the Apocalypse I'm Afraid

Apocalypse?  What apocalypse?

And if the apocalypse really does exist and could occur at some point in the near future, what are we, humanity as a whole, to do about it?

One word: EVERYTHING.

Now, I don't want to frighten you all or discourage you from reading this post.  So don't assume that it's about some nutty 22 year old who is just panicking about graduating and doesn't know where to go or what's to come for her next step in life as a post-graduate, liberal thinker, free-spirited environmentalist (even though I clearly DID just describe my current state of psyche and life at this very moment in time).  Just because I'm confused about which path to take and where to simply begin doesn't mean that I'm giving up on everything.  I'm not hoping for the apocalypse to happen or mentally becoming unwell by thinking about it just so that I don't have to deal with my reality.

No, no.

To be honest, I'm not really one of those doomsday preppers who has an unlimited supply of canned goods, flashlights, batteries, and water stashed in my closet or better yet, the doomsday cellar that I don't have.  I don't really think its quite necessary to stuff our houses with more consumer products and to prepare for this apocalyptic event in some grandeur way because it's beyond ourselves.  Well maybe not entirely, but as much as we can predict the future, it's still so unpredictable, and knowing that, gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, there is a slight chance of us of fixing our present conditions of life that can help better our future ones.  And not just for each other, but for all existing creatures that rely on us, and us on them, to maintain this circle of life.  And for the environment.  Because without it, we couldn't exist and function in our day to day lives, since trees produce the oxygen we need to breathe, water keeps our vital beings alive, and the fruits of the Earth teach us how to work with Mother Nature instead of against her.

It's hard to think of the apocalypse as some sort of relevant concept that could happen at some point in our near future.


I don't necessarily mean some big explosion that could occur at any moment, but more of a gradual transformation from a thriving society and world, into an empty one.


Even though I know that my apartment may crumble at any moment and all my belongings may be lost in an instant, and even though I'm not 'prepping' like the doomsday folk, it doesn't take away from my obsession and fascination that I have for the apocalypse.

There, I said it.

I'm obsessed with the apocalypse.

I think my obsession stems from the fact that I think we are already living in a time that is gradually getting closer to the apocalypse, with evidence of abandoned landscapes, increasing consumerism, conventional agriculture, the destruction of our environment through unsustainable energy extraction techniques, the allowance of greenhouse gas emissions, overfishing our seas, poisoning and depleting our soil, and so on.  I think that people aren't taking into consideration the fact that we are already living in a sort of semi-apocalyptic era.

It's worth considering, since our lives are the only things we have after all.  And even then, we don't really have them because they aren't stable.  Our lives aren't certain or granted to us because at any moment, one of us could pass tomorrow.

Now, I don't mean to be grim, but the truth is, because we rely on the fact that tomorrow is always guaranteed, we continue to act, think, consume, produce, and be the same as we were yesterday.  But yesterday isn't today and today isn't tomorrow.

Things are always changing.  WE are always changing.  Since I believe that we are ever-evolving human beings, it's important to know that the world we live in is also ever-evolving and adapting to our ways and habits.

That's why I say we must do EVERYTHING we can in order to ensure longer futures, healthier lifestyles, and an overall better planet for the generations of humans and other species and beings to come.  It is our duty to protect not only each other, but the land we live on and the animals that live with us.

So let me just say this...

The blog entries and photos that I post are to contribute to this concept that our world is already in its own mini apocalypse.  With our flawed government systems, unsustainable food industry, finite resources, and societal structures that have created boundaries for our potential as human beings, we are destined towards some great shift that we will never be able to fully grasp until it happens.  The purpose of this blog is to get you to think about the current state of our economy, society, and environment, its grim future, and the last strands of hope and possibility that we have to turn it all around.  And the only way to accomplish any of this, is of course, through discussion.  So please, speak your minds freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment